2023 NFL Draft: Full First Round Mock

C.J. Stroud scrambles away as he looks upfield during Ohio State’s 2022 contest against Michigan. (Jay LaPrete)

Written By Peyton Youse, Sports Editor

• Panthers—C.J. Stroud, QB Ohio State 

The Panthers have been between veteran quarterbacks since 2019 when Cam Newton’s season ended after an injury in the second game of the season. Since then, the Panthers have had Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and others under center. Now, the Panthers finally get their quarterback of the future as they trade up for Stroud. A proven winner, Stroud posted a record of 21-4 during his two years as a starter at Ohio State while also finishing top 4 in Heisman Trophy Voting each year according to ESPN.

• Texans—Bryce Young, QB Alabama

The Davis Mills experiment looked promising after year 1, but it quickly went downhill during year 2 as the former Stanford standout posted the third worst QBR in the league according to ESPN. Now, the Texans start fresh with 2021 Heisman Trophy Winner Bryce Young. Even though he struggled with a shoulder injury during the 2022 season and couldn’t match his 2021 production, he has all the makings to be a star at the next level.

• Cardinals—Will Anderson Jr, LB Alabama

Who better to replace future Hall of Famer J.J. Watt with then two time Bronko Nagurski winner Will Anderson? A force to be reckoned with, Anderson racked up 34.5 sacks during his time at Alabama according to ESPN and is the best defensive player in the draft.

• Colts—Will Levis, QB Kentucky

The Colts have been playing veteran quarterback roulette since Andrew Luck abruptly retired before the 2019 season. During that time, the likes of Carson Wentz, Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan, among others, have seen time under center in Indianapolis. That ends now, as the Colts finally get their guy. Levis might not have the stat line of Bryce Young or C.J. Stroud, but his physical traits are ideal. He has a big arm, and is reminiscent of Josh Allen in stature.

• Seahawks—Tyree Wilson, DE Texas Tech

The Seahawks offense is in good shape with Geno Smith under center and a host of weapons at his disposal including Kenneth Walker, D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett. However, their defense is still in need of some work. A top edge rusher in the draft, Wilson racked up 14 sacks in his final two years of college ball at Texas Tech according to ESPN and would immediately improve Seattle’s pass rush.

• Lions—Christian Gonzalez, CB Oregon

The Lions defense was horrendous last season as the unit allowed the most yards in the NFL. Therefore, improving their secondary makes complete sense. Gonzalez cemented himself as the top corner in the draft after a fantastic combine, and would be a great addition for Detroit. 

• Raiders—Myles Murphy, DE Clemson

The Raiders had the 3rd fewest sacks in the NFL last season according to StatMuse, so they need to address their pass rush early on. Standing at 6 foot 5 and weighing 258 pounds according to CBS Sports, Murphy would present major problems for offensive tackles and would revitalize Las Vegas’ pass rush. 

• Falcons—Anthony Richardson, QB Florida

The Falcons do have Desmond Ridder, but the opportunity to draft a player like Richardson doesn’t present itself every day. His production at the college level isn’t anything to write home about, but his talent and athleticism, which he displayed in full at the combine, definitely are. 

Anthony Richardson gets fired up with his teammates after scoring a touchdown during the 2022 season. (Doug Engle)
  • Bears—Jalen Carter, DT Georgia 

The Bears trade back, acquire extra draft capital and still land a top talent to boost their defensive line. After allowing the most points in the NFL last season according to CBS Sports, it’s clear that the Bears have a plethora of needs to address on the defensive side of the ball. However, adding a two time national champion with great size and strength is a good starting point.

• Eagles – Brian Branch, S Alabama

After having a career year in 2022, safety C.J. Gardener-Johnson departed in free agency. This 

leaves Philadelphia with a massive hole at the safety position, but they select Branch to replace him. This might be a little bit of a reach at pick 10, but the Eagles can afford to reach as they hold multiple first round picks. 

• Titans – Jordan Addison, WR USC

Two years in a row drafting a wide receiver in the first round? That’s an unfortunate yes for the Titans, who are still trying to replace the void A.J. Brown left when he was traded to Philadelphia last year. Treylon Burks, last year’s first round pick, struggled with injuries in his first year but also flashed potential. Now, the Titans add another weapon alongside Burks in Addison, the first wide receiver off the board.

• Texans – Quentin Johnston, WR TCU

With Johnston still on the board, the Texans don’t hesitate to snag the big bodied wideout. With Brandon Cooks gone, the Texans are in desperate need of help at the wide receiver position. Enter Johnston, who’s big frame and speed would be a nightmare for opposing DB’s.

• Jets – Peter Skoronski, OT Northwestern

No matter who is under center next year in New York, the Jets need help on the offensive line. By adding Skoronski, the Jets address that need and provide protection for Zach Wilson, Aaron Rodgers or whoever is under center come September. 

• Patriots – Broderick Jones, OT Georgia

With some of the top names at the position still on the board, wide receiver seems like the obvious choice for the Patriots here. But the last time the Patriots selected a wide receiver in the first round was 2019 with N’Keal Harry, and we all know the disaster that turned out to be. So instead of drafting a wideout, New England adds Jones, who can be an immediate Day 1 starter on the offensive line.

• Packers – Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR Ohio State

With Allen Lazard gone, the Packers wide receiver room is in contention for the weakest in the league. To fix this, they add Smith-Njigba who, despite barely seeing the field in 2022 because of injuries, had a phenomenal 2021 season.

Jaxon Smith-Nijigba sprints up the field after making a catch during the 2022 Rose Bowl game. (Brian Rothmuller)
  • Commanders – Devon Witherspoon, CB Illinois

The Commanders are in dire need of a quarterback, but selecting one here with Stroud, Young, Levis and Richardson all gone would be a reach. So, Washington elects to go the best player available route and select the shutdown corner that is Devon Witherspoon.

• Steelers – Joey Porter, CB Penn State

With Cameron Sutton gone, the Steelers find his replacement in Joey Porter. Porter starred at Penn State, and won’t mind getting to stay put in the same state he played his college ball in.

• Lions – Nolan Smith, LB Georgia

After addressing the back part of their defense with the #6 pick, the Lions address the front part by adding Smith, a freak athlete who really fits with the culture that Dan Campbell is building in Detroit. 

• Buccaneers – Trenton Simpson, LB Clemson

Lavonte David just signed a one year deal at 34 years old, and has been open about his desire to retire as a Buccaneer. Therefore, all signs point to this being his last year. Ultimately, Tampa Bay selects Simpson who can be a great eventual replacement to Davis at the linebacker position. 

• Seahawks – O’Cyrus Torrence – OG Florida

The Seahawks added Charles Cross last year to fill out the outside part of their offensive line, but the interior is still in need of some help. To fix this, they select Torrence who fits in nicely to either of the two guard spots.

• Chargers – Bijan Robinson, RB Texas

With Austin Ekeler likely to be traded, the Chargers need to begin thinking about his replacement. Robinson is the clear number one running back in this class, and can be a great replacement for Ekeler while also elevating the Chargers offense as a whole. 

Bijan Robinson leaves a West Virginia defender in the dust as he sprints up the field during the Longhorns’ 2022 matchup against the Mountaineers. (Tim Warner)
  • Ravens – Deonte Banks, CB Maryland

Jalin Hyatt, Zay Flowers, and Josh Downs are still on the board. So why not draft one of them? The point is simple: the Ravens cannot develop wide receivers. So instead of going the wide receiver route, the Ravens opt for the hometown kid who fills a big need at the cornerback position. 

• Vikings – Cam Smith, CB South Carolina

The Vikings desperately need help in their secondary after allowing close to 400 yards per game last season according to CBS Sports. However, most of the top names at the position are already off the board. But Cam Smith still has the potential to be a great player at the next level. 

• Jaguars – Darnell Wright, OT Tennessee

After a stellar sophomore season, it is evident that the Jaguars plan to build around Trevor Lawrence. Therefore, it makes sense for them to continue to protect him, no matter the cost. Despite multiple tackles being picked before him, Wright did not allow a single sack last season according to Pro Football Focus and is still one of the top players at the position. 

• Giants – Jalin Hyatt, WR Tennessee

The Giants most pressing need is without a doubt wide receiver. And with multiple options left on the board, the Giants have a lot of good options to choose from. However, nobody can take the top off a defense quite like Hyatt, who has the big play ability to become Daniel Jones’ true #1 receiver. 

• Cowboys – Michael Mayer, TE Notre Dame

With Dalton Schultz gone, the Cowboys need to address the tight end position. And with no tight ends off the board so far, the Cowboys have their pick. This tight end class is one of the deepest in recent memory, but Mayer is the best of the bunch.

• Bills – Zay Flowers, WR Boston College

Outside of Stefon Diggs, there is really no one else for Josh Allen to throw too. One could argue that Gabe Davis is there, but he struggled with inconsistency and led the league in dropped passes last season according to NBC Sports. With Flowers, the Bills add a running mate alongside Diggs who will elevate the Bills offense as a whole.

• Bengals – Darnell Washington, TE Georgia 

Despite having a good season, the Bengals decided not to retain Hayden Hurst. Unfortunately, that leaves them very thin at tight end. By adding Washington, the Bengals improve the tight end position while also giving Joe Burrow another weapon to utilize in arguably the NFL’s best passing offense. 

Darnell Washington attempts to get away from the Auburn defense during the Bulldogs’ 2021 game vs the Tigers. (Butch Dill)
  • Saints – BJ Ojulari, DE LSU

With Marcus Davenport now in Minneapolis, the Saints have a gaping hole on their defense. To fill this hole, New Orleans selects Ojulari who has the luxury of getting to stay put in the same state he played his college ball in.

• Eagles – Jahmyr Gibbs, RB Alabama

Instead of overpaying for Miles Sanders, the Eagles decided to let Sanders walk. To replace him, they select Gibbs and get someone younger on a rookie deal, which is a win all around for the defending NFC Champions.

• Chiefs – Josh Downs, WR North Carolina 

After winning the Super Bowl, it’s evident that there are very few holes on Kansas City’s roster. However, with Juju Smith Schuster gone, the Chiefs would be smart to give Patrick Mahomes another weapon to utilize in the passing game.