Teacher Spotlight: A Deep Dive into Latin’s Newest Instructors

Mrs. Dowd traveling, one of her favorite hobbies.

Written By Neely Hume, Mary Stewart Hunter, and Lucy Dempsey

Science Lover, Mrs. Elliott, Enters Latin

What is your name?

Marina Elliott

How did you find CLS? 

I was searching for a teaching opportunity in Charlotte and CLS was recommended to me through family friends who went to school here! Also, Mr. Cooney and I used to work together.

Did you have any jobs prior to working here? If so, what were they? 

Mrs. Elliott partaking in one of her favorite activities, hiking with her dog!

I used to live in Charleston, South Carolina. I taught high school Biology and Chemistry there for 4 years. Last year, I was an 8th grade science teacher at Carmel Middle School here in Charlotte. 

Why Charlotte Latin and not any other school? 

I always thought very highly of CLS, but now I know that this is a special place. The time that the school has taken to welcome me, and my fellow new teachers to the school is amazing.  I have so much support from the Science Department, and I know I am becoming the best teacher I have ever been! 

Do you have any specific people you look/looked up to as you grew up? 

Neil deGrasse Tyson, the astrophysicist. I love space, and when I was in college, I got to work as a live presenter in the planetarium (basically a movie theater, but instead of a screen, the show is on a dome above you) at the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman. I read one of his books, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, I have watched his COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey series multiple times (and used it in my Biology classes), I listen to his podcast, StarTalk, I attended a virtual conference for science teachers that he puts on each year, and I even got to see him in speak person before the pandemic. He is redefining what it means to be a scientist with his educational outreach, his goals to make science accessible and understandable to all, and his constant reminder for everyone to “keep looking up”. 

Once a buc and now a hawk, Mrs. Dowd becomes part of the Latin community

What is your name? 

My full name is Spencer Beasley Dowd. Y’all call me Mrs. Dowd. 

How did you find CLS?

I attended Charlotte Country Day growing up, so Latin has always been on my radar. When I made the decision to become a teacher, I came and observed a couple of classes here and was really impressed. I got in contact with a couple of teachers and other folks at the school, kept in touch, and have been eagerly watching for an opening in Latin ever since.

Yes. I worked for two years as an investment banking analyst at Wells Fargo straight out of college, and then spent five years at Barings in the Global Private Finance Group (both in Charlotte). Other gigs I’ve had have included teaching yoga, waiting tables, and being a camp counselor!

What inspired you to become a teacher?

If anyone needs someone to listen to their own soul searching about school or career interests, I’d be happy to help because I’ve done a lot of that myself! I have always loved working with young people and spending my time and talent in the service of others. In the financial services industry, I enjoyed my work and learned a great deal, but I didn’t feel that those two motivating forces were being met. It may sound cheesy, but I always felt like teaching would be the perfect way to align my work with my skills and passions, so I took the leap and made it happen.

What are your hobbies? 

Reading, getting into a good new TV show, cooking and baking, walking/running/hiking outdoors, traveling to new places, trying new restaurants/foods, playing piano (I have a keyboard at home), and spending quality time with family and friends.

Singing the Praises of Mr. Sung

What is your name?

Pete Sung

Mr. Sung eager to enter the Latin community in his school picture.

Did you have any jobs prior to working here?

If so, what were they? I was a Captain in the USAF and served overseas in Korea, the Middle East. I was a college professor for 10 years, and I was a pastor for 10 years.

I was fortunate to have several opportunities across the country. Charlotte Latin stood out for many reasons: the students, the faculty, the culture. Other schools were great too, but as I thoughtfully considered the options and prayed over the possibilities, I recognized Latin was the clear choice and best fit for me.

With whatever you are comfortable sharing, tell us about your family?

My family is originally from Hong Kong. I grew up in California.

Siblings? Where do they live?

I am the youngest of seven brothers and sisters. They live in Hong Kong, California and Texas.

Multilingual salsa dancer Mr. Frye joins the Latin community

What is your name? 

Jeremy Frye

What is your current position at Charlotte Latin school? 

Latin Fellow for Spanish and French

Mr. Frye exploring a beautiful city, one of his favorite hobbies.

If so, what were they? Nothing ever permanent. However, I started a private tutoring company for different skills including language and music that I was engaged in for a year before Latin. Other than that, I’ve always held temporary jobs while in school, for example, as a Guest Relations representative of Morehead Planetarium, a French TA, Summer Intensive Language Program Activity Coordinator/Tutor, Custom Language Services French Instructor, etc.

What inspired you to become a teacher?

I never felt a specific moment of inspiration, and I never thought I’d pursue teaching; it always just seemed like I was teaching somebody something (e.g. piano, guitar) and was good at it. I loved inspiring people, being part of their accomplishments, and seeing their joy at reaching their goals. Teaching was simply a medium of doing that. I did teaching gigs, for example teaching English in France, but I did it only to go to France. Likewise, I went to graduate school for teaching, but only because that was the only field available that my scholarship would fully cover, and I wanted to simply have a higher education experience. Teaching for these reasons among others seems to have pointed me to this calling.

Yes, my mother always served as an incredible example of what it looked like to have a big heart, and I’ve sought to adopt these character traits because they were so influential. Also, as a Christian, I generally try to guide my life as Jesus exemplified in the Bible.

What are your hobbies?

I love to learn languages (Have knowledge in Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and English) and music (guitar, piano, bass, drums, and working on violin)! You might also catch me playing Spike Ball here and there.

From the Fighting Irish to a Latin Hawk, Mr. Budzichowski becomes a Hawk

What is your name?

Zack Budzichowski

Upper School Engineering Teacher

Yes, I was a high school math and science teacher in Mississippi where I also coached varsity girls soccer and boys baseball. I have also been an automotive engineer and science olympiad coach among other things.

What inspired you to become a teacher?

When I was in college studying mechanical engineering, I spent three years as a calculus and physics tutor for varsity students-athletes at Notre Dame.  I really enjoyed it and a number of the people I tutored encouraged me to become a teacher. 

The FabLab is a unique offering at CLS that is a tremendous opportunity to be a part of. 

What are your hobbies? 

Watching Notre Dame football.

Super chemist, Doctor Nick, returns to Latin

What is your name? 

Mimi Nick

I previously worked in a lab full-time, doing neuroscience research.

What inspired you to become a teacher? 

Dr. Nick’s grandma, also a chemist, is performing a science experiment.

I want to help young people find excitement and understand the importance of scientific issues – these will be very important issues for our future (climate change, medicine advancements, etc.)

I love the honor code and sense of personal responsibility that allows teachers to trust their students; I am not here to be “in charge” of a class, I want to focus on the scientific content of a class.  I think the rigor of Latin is unmatched and I feel my students are capable of anything!

My grandmother was a female chemist in the 1940s, which must have been quite bold back then!  I always admired her intelligence, use of logic, and sharp wit.