The Student News Site of Charlotte Latin School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

New Kids on the Block II

Robby Gette ’24 and Tommy Beason ’24 posing for a picture as they start their senior year (Neely Hume).

Three years ago, we—Tommy Beason and Robby Gette—were new to Latin. We were just the usual freshmen, excited to be starting at a new school, but were also a little nervous. Everyone already seemed to have friend groups, and with Latin’s reputation, we felt like we had some big shoes to fill. To add onto that, our transition happened to fall in the midst of a global pandemic. Along with us, four other new kids on the Hawk block experienced this same shift; and while it was different from our own, there are some parts of being new that stay the same, regardless of other challenges.

Benjamin Gathers ’24

We interviewed those other new Hawks during our freshman year: Benjamin Gathers, Neesa Phadke, Pari Hathiram and Kathryn Ogbata. All six of us are still at Charlotte Latin and are currently in our senior year. We have had lots of time to reflect on our high school experiences and determine what worked and what did not. With this learned information, we believe what better to do with it than share it with the new freshmen who are in the same exact position that we were in. So new freshman, this one’s for you.

Pari Hathiram ’24

Piece of advice number one: make yourself a part of the community. “Try everything new. Go into sports and clubs that you would have never thought about trying. Open your doors,” Hathiram said. With a fairly small class size (141 for us seniors) it is important to connect with your community because these people are the ones you will have to make memories with. “I really love the people at Latin. I don’t think you would find a community like this somewhere else,” Hathiram said. Also, take advantage of your freshman year to create good habits that you will carry with you as you get older. “Don’t believe freshman year is just a blow by year. You will thank yourself down the road,” Gathers said. This is perhaps most important socially—it’s important to integrate yourself, because everybody’s a friend at Charlotte Latin. “I’ll remember the ‘unexpected’ friends I made; the people that I didn’t have any common interests with but still found a way to relate to and bond with,” Phadke said. In addition, take risks during high school. “Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and make mistakes. Mistakes are the best way to learn more about yourself and who you are as a person,” Ogbata said.

Neesa Phadke ’24

We can thank Charlotte Latin’s incredible array of activities for our ability to connect with so many people and interests. Everybody can find their own community to cater to virtually every interest under the sun. Hathiram said that she engaged directly with her particular interests by joining clubs and groups. “Through clubs, activities, and community service I joined, I have met so many people. Being involved in the band, the golf team, and SALT, so many unfamiliar faces became familiar to me” she said. Ogbata has had similar experiences, integrating herself into many aspects of school life. “I’m a leader of Girl Up and of SISTERS. I’ve done track & field as both a sprinter and a thrower,” Ogbata said.
Adding onto friendships you will develop, some of the most important relationships are those with your teachers, the ones who determine your grades. Advocate for yourself, email your teachers, go meet with them. All of these things will elevate your education and make your time at school more efficient and enjoyable. “The teachers are so nice and helpful; some of them I even consider to be my close friends,” Hathiram said. One subtle piece of your high school experience, too, is to be grateful for your school. We are extremely fortunate to attend a school such as Charlotte Latin, and it is nice to appreciate the things that make our campus and school so great. “I can’t recall a time where I wasn’t impressed walking into the SAC,” Gathers said. Phadke also added that the community welcomed her with open arms. “I would advise them to not stress too much about making new friends—it’s much easier to find a group that you can mix well with than you think!” Phadke said.

Kathryn Ogbata ’24

While you will learn a lot from your own experiences, these tips and tricks will hopefully help you to succeed throughout high school. Make the most of these four years as you will never get them back. Enjoy your peers and use your time wisely. Charlotte Latin is a wonderful place that will give you creative freedom, opportunities to thrive and access to great resources. Take advantage of every single thing you can, and you will have an awesome high school experience. Live in every moment and don’t take the easy way out. Find your group of friends and have fun. Signing off, Tommy and Robby.