The Student News Site of Charlotte Latin School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Von Deutschland zu die USA

Kim, Rick, Janet and Julie Webster ’07 alongside Raphaela Grimme at the farewell party.

Traveling abroad can be a very intimidating experience; however, there is much to learn from an international adventure. Raphaela Grimme, a native German, is a prime example of what good can come from an exchange program. She has traveled to and studied in South Africa, Australia, Japan, and Canada. She visited the United States when she was in high school, and during that serendipitous visit, she made her way to Charlotte Latin. Grimme stayed with Julie Webster ’07 and her family, and after working through the language barrier, Grimme clicked with Julie and her sister, Kim. She found satisfaction in exploring American culture and she believed she evolved more as a person as a result of her experiences. Most importantly, she enjoyed her time so much in the United States that she found another opportunity to return–this time, as a chaperone for another group of exchange students from Germany.

German exchange students plus some of their hosts at the airport the first time Grimme came to visit in 2005.

During her time in the US, Grimme noticed some American behavioral customs that differed from the way Germans react to similar situations. “Back at home we are much more straightforward and I noticed that while I was shopping. For example, if we are trying on clothes and they don’t fit, we always tell our friends the truth,” Grimme said. In America, especially the South, people tend to use euphemisms and try to be polite, even to their friends. Grimme acknowledges that the bluntness she is accustomed to in Germany may not appear as frequently here. However (across the ocean from Germany), Grimme finds that Americans express a level of spontaneity she is not used to. “People in the US seem to be much more spontaneous and go out with their friends, without a plan in mind,” Grimme said. She explained how this affinity for unexpected good times led to a lot of impromptu fun, which happens far less in Germany since people usually plan outings well ahead of time. These welcoming experiences led to a connection with Julie. Even after Grimme returned home, she attempted to maintain contact with her host sister; however, consistent communication was difficult across time zones. Even though there were difficulties at first, their communication became much easier and more fluid once Facebook came onto the social media scene. “It was hard in the beginning to talk through email. We sent emails maybe twice a year. Facebook helped us keep up with each other and see what each other was up to,” Grimme said. Years later, their communication paid off when Grimme received an important invitation: to visit Cape Cod for Julie’s wedding. After lots of time apart, it was extremely refreshing for the two friends to catch up during one of the biggest days of Julie’s life.

Latin alumna Julie Webster ’07 marries in front of family and friends (including former German exchange student Raphaela Grimme) on Cape Cod.

Fast forward to the present, and Grimme found herself the recipient of another “invitation” to revisit her past. As an English teacher who teaches at the same school she attended, she was given the chance to return to Charlotte Latin School, but this time, as a chaperone. When she first stepped foot on Latin’s campus after so many years away, she recalled some of the old buildings that were here the last time she was in Charlotte. Grimme said, “Walking around campus, I remembered the quad and the science building; however, I saw the IO building which was certainly not here many years ago.” While some things have stayed the same, her memory provides history to our campus and the changes that have occurred. Seeing Charlotte Latin for what it is now may blur the past and the fact that our Hawks’ nest has undergone many important changes that make campus what it is today.

In considering her experiences in traveling throughout the world (as well as returning back to Charlotte, now as a teacher), Grimme feels that it is important to take a moment and reflect on what she has learned and how it has impacted her personal growth. In doing so, she realizes the value of her studying abroad. Grimme said, “You can learn so much about different cultures and people, but also yourself. You have to face new challenges and it will help you to grow from that.” Becoming more empathetic, gaining new perspectives, and seeing the world, Grimme’s learning has also translated to the classroom. While discussing academic topics with her students, she can view the bigger picture, not just the side that she aligns with. “I sometimes say to my students that my experiences have given me other perspectives which help me take a step back and think about the multiple sides to every story,” Grimme said. Being able to relate to a wider variety of others has allowed Grimme to not only become a better teacher, but a better person as well. Through the plethora of lessons that Grimme has learned, the importance of learning about other cultures, other than your own, shines bright. The world is a melting pot of different cultural elements and more knowledge enables a greater potential to find happiness and a common understanding. Leading to a sense of community between diverse groups, studying abroad may be a factor that enables our society to mend past issues and work towards being more trusting in the future.