The Student News Site of Charlotte Latin School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A Case For Skiing: Why You Should Take Up A New Winter Sport

Ben Goldman ’26 taking a break after a mini wipeout in Keystone Colorado (Mike Goldman)

There are some feelings that just transcend words. The feeling of being weightless, the feeling of falling, and the feeling of gliding through fresh powder on a wide open ski run on a beautiful winter day. The great thing about skiing is that it appeals to so many different people. Not only does it appeal to the adrenaline junkies, it also appeals to nature lovers, as well as normal people just looking for a fun workout. If you were already contemplating skiing but were thinking about snowboarding too, I would recommend skiing, as it’s easier to have fun as a beginner on skis than on a snowboard, and you can also ski for much longer in your life than you can snowboard.  Lindsay Baker ‘24 says “I’ve skied for a long time, and while I tried to snowboard once, it was much harder to learn than skiing.” Some people prefer to snowboard though. Longtime snowboarder Brooke Goldman has been boarding for 20 years, but recently, after attaining a serious injury in a snowboarding accident she has considered skiing, and while she doesn’t plan to do it this year, she thinks she still might switch to skiing down the line.

While some sports require many people to play, such as football or soccer, skiing is just as fun solo, while providing a completely different experience. Although skiing is mainly known as an extreme sport with high adrenaline, it can also be incredibly relaxing, especially when floating through powder. While I am not a park rat, many people love the park, and people are very supportive for beginners in the park, and all over the mountain. Ski culture is also very supportive, and save for a few people, skiers love to support and help out beginners. Casey Cupps-O’Sullivan ‘25, who has skied only once before, attests to how skiing is fun even for beginners: “I love making my turns in pizza, and switching to french fries when I want to go fast.” Alternatively, experienced skier Katherine Webb ‘26 says “I love the adrenaline rush you get while flying down the mountain. It’s a feeling you can’t attain anywhere else.” Skiing also allows you to explore some of the most beautiful places and towns in the world. While you wouldn’t normally travel to a place like Keystone, Colorado on vacation, it is a beautiful ski town, and one of the coolest places that I’ve ever been. The experience of skiing, and the added benefits around it make it a great sport to try.