The Student News Site of Charlotte Latin School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Potential Heisman Trophy Winners

Through Week 4 of the College Football Season
Caleb Williams, USC Trojans QB, rearing back before throwing a touchdown against San Jose State (San Diego Union-Tribune).

Through Week 4 of the college football season, there are many great potential Heisman Trophy candidates that have been lighting up the gridiron. The Heisman Trophy is awarded annually to the most outstanding player across all of college football. As of late, this award is generally given to quarterbacks, as many deem quarterback to be the most valuable position in football. Since 2000, there have only been three non-quarterbacks who have won the Heisman Trophy: Mark Ingram in 2009, Derrick Henry in 2015, and Devonta Smith in 2020. Crazy enough, all three of those winners played for the University of Alabama. Last year, the Heisman was awarded to University of Southern California quarterback Caleb Williams. Heading into this year Williams was the odds-on favorite, but throughout the season, many other players have put their names into the conversation.

Let’s begin the Heisman discussion with Caleb Williams. He is the quarterback and leader of the 8th ranked USC Trojans. Many analysts have even stated that Williams will certainly be drafted number one overall in the upcoming NFL draft. Through 4 games this season he has posted a whopping 1,200 passing yards, throwing for 15 touchdowns and zero interceptions. The Trojans dominated their first three games over San Jose State, Nevada, and Stanford, winning each game by at least 25 points. Their most recent game against Arizona State was a close game, but eventually the Trojans prevailed, winning 42-28. Williams has certainly shown his arm talent and playmaking ability to everyone across the country, but the only question is: will USC win enough big games for him to repeat as the Heisman Trophy winner? Additionally, voter fatigue is a common theme in award voting across sports and although Williams has only won the award once, some voters may rather see another young man win the Heisman this year. In my opinion, I think Caleb Williams should win if he continues the pace he is on; however, the next player on my list will certainly give Williams a run for his money.

The other top contender in my eyes is Michael Penix Jr., the quarterback and leader for the Washington Huskies. The Huskies have won all four of their games this season with ease, scoring 199 points while only allowing 68 to opposing teams. Boise State, Tulsa, Michigan State, and California have all stood no chance against the Penix Jr.-led squad. He has thrown for 1,636 yards and 16 touchdowns, while only throwing two interceptions. These stats seem to be straight out of a video game. To add onto his resume, his team is ranked 7th in the nation and may continue to move up the ranks if the Huskies keep racking up wins. Penix Jr. is a senior out of Tampa, Florida and spent the beginning of his collegiate career at Indiana University, until last season when he transferred to Washington. He had an incredible season in terms of stats last year, averaging 357 passing yards per game and finishing 8th in the Heisman Trophy race. This year, he is averaging 409 passing yards per game and is getting much more hype than he did this past season. While this lefty quarterback may not be the odds-on favorite right now, I would not be surprised if he comes out as the winner.

Michael Penix Jr. showing off his lefty arm to the home Husky fans (Bleacher Report).

The last Heisman candidate I will mention is Texas Longhorn quarterback Quinn Ewers. Ewers was a touted prospect coming out of high school and slightly disappointed last year, but has come out this season with a vengeance. While not having the best season in terms of stats, Ewers has led his team to the third spot in the national rankings, with a huge win over the Alabama Crimson Tide. In that game he dominated the Crimson Tide defense, throwing for 349 yards and three touchdowns as the Longhorns upset Alabama in Tuscaloosa. A major factor of winning the Heisman is the player’s team. For Ewers, Texas certainly has a shot to finish the season on the podium of the rankings, giving him a shot to be considered. He definitely has some work to do as the year progresses but has already proved some of the haters wrong. The big question is: will the big wins make up for the fact that Ewers is 35th in the nation in passing yards? Only time will tell, but Texas fans are certainly impressed with their sophomore quarterback out of Southlake, Texas.

Quinn Ewers rushing towards the endzone at Darrell K Royal Memorial Stadium (University of Texas Athletics).

The beginning of the college football season has brought joy to thousands across the country and will continue to bring happiness as touchdowns are scored and games are won. In regards to the Heisman Trophy, it seems that the trend of quarterback winners will continue; however, who is to say what will happen the rest of the season? Who will surprise the country? Who will disappoint? On December 9th of this year the winner will be announced. We are currently 71 days away from that date so these predictions have some time to marinate. No matter what though, one young man will have all the eyes on him after proving to the voters that he deserves to win the 2023 Heisman Trophy.